Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My First Deer, and Getting the Monkey Off My Back - All in One Day!!!


I have never been much of a hunter. Ok, I have never been a hunter. Are you happy now? Anyway, my father-in-law has been working with me as sort of a project to form me into a hunter. I believe this made the third year he has taken me deer hunting. Every year I have taken shots with the result...NO DEER! Would this year be different?

On November 26, 2009, at 8:50 a.m., this all changed when I killed my first deer ever, a doe. I could not believe it. For awhile there, I thought I would be an ammunition company's best friend - Keep shooting...use those bullets...No results.

The shot I took was from about 70 yards. To be honest, when I first shot I did not believe I hit her by the reaction of the deer. But, upon further inspection, we found a blood trail that led us some 50 yards or so into the woods. There we found my first deer! Ah, the thrill of the hunt...the Fruits of my labor! The monkey is finally off my back! I killed a deer! Me...the great hunter!

Now, I want my next deer. The Christmas hunt is coming up!

No comments: