Friday, May 8, 2009

The Day my Dad went to Heaven...


May 8, 2009, marks eight years since my dad left this earth and went to Heaven. On reflection, this is a bittersweet day. I miss him being here with us, but I know he is in a much better place. A place where there is no more pain, and no more sorrow. My dad is in a place he preached about for so many years. I bet Heaven is even better than he imagined!

I never do forget this date, but I will have to admit it did slip up on me a little this year. This morning I had just dropped Morgan off at her school, when I heard the song "Finally Home" by Mercy Me come on the radio. When I heard the lyrics...it hit me...today was May 8th. The lyrics start like this:

I’m gonna wrap my arms around my daddy’s neck
And tell him that I’ve missed him.
And tell him all about the man that I became
And hope that it pleased him
There’s so much I want to say
There’s so much I want you to know

Chorus:

When I finally make it home

When I finally make it home



My dad lived his life for the Lord. What a Man of God he was! I wish he was here, but then again why would I want to wish him out of Heaven? I think I will have some Mexican food sometime today. That was one of his favorites!

1 comment:

Sherry Drennan said...

What a sweet reflection, Philip Thanks for sharing! La Fiesta tonight??