Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Talking Theology with a 4 year old...


Sunday night we had the Lord Supper at our church. During the service, Lizzie Kate wanted me to hold her, so I did.

She actually acted pretty good until it came time to take the Lord Supper. I know the Lord Supper is an important and serious service that should not be taken lightly, but it is also a time when children ask questions...

"What is that in your mouth?"
"What are you eating?"
"What is that?" (She asks as she sees the juice in the cup)

Now, what do you tell a 4 year old who asks these questions? You know what the bread and the cup represents, but talking Theology to a 4 year old can be tough. I finally said it is a cup. She kept asking me the same question, not liking my answer. I finally said it is juice...grape juice. Let's just say, that is not the right thing to tell a 4 year old.

No comments: