Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More on the Big Tree...


You might remember one of my past posts regarding the Big Tree in Ashley County. This weekend my niece Kristin Morris was quick to tell me the tree is the widest pine tree in America. I do not know that for sure, but I cannot very well call my niece a liar now can I? I thought I would share something interesting that we found on the back side of the tree...

Morgan walked to the back side of the tree. Once she reappeared she asked, "What is this?" In her hand was what looked to be a 35 mm film canister. We carefully opened the lid and found some interesting articles. Inside the canister was a fake lizard, a coin of some sort, a note, and a small baby...no, not a real one. At first we did not know quite what to think of the find.




My father-in-law then said he thought the canister might be something associated with what is called Geo caching. Geo caching has something to do with hunting for hidden treasure. We believe the note inside serves as a log for those who find the treasure.

I find this sort of thing very interesting. It might be fun to do this sort of thing, or something similar where you hide things and have others find it. I mean we already have something similar to this going on in our house now. The person geo caching in our house is the "Caker".

2 comments:

Mike said...

There are tons of geocaching spots around Greenwood. If you have a GPS you can find a lot of them. I have a friend who really got into that a couple years ago and he is always going on treasure hunts

Sherry Drennan said...

interesting! i need your email address to invite you to the private blog. email me: ddrennan@centurytel.net
thanks!