Thursday, September 4, 2008

Yes, I was tempted...


The Bible tells us in 1 Corinthians 10:13, No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.

That being said, I have been tempted to act out a scene from one of my favorite “Seinfeld” episodes the last few days. It is episode 130, “The Calzone.” You can find information on this episode at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Calzone. The scene I have been tempted to act out is where George Costanza goes to the door of Newman’s (a mailman) apartment. George asks him, “Why aren’t you at work?” Newman replies, “It’s raining…I don’t work when it rains.” George says, “You’re a mailman! Neither rain, nor sleet, nor…It’s the first one!” Now, I cannot look at a mailman or mail carrier in the rain without thinking of that episode.

OK, I will get to the point. I have eaten at the Subway sandwich shop the last few days, and unless you have been under a rock or in a cave someplace, you know it has been raining. I have seen the same mailman both days. If you know me, you probably know where this is going. I was tempted to say…”I commend you for being a mailman and following the oath that you were given…Neither rain, nor sleet…” I thought of the episode…smiled…then went on my way both days. I really did want to say the line! I promise you I did. Why are we tempted like this? Oh well, it gave me a smile anyway. You will just have to watch the episode to see how one could be tempted by this.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Did you mix it up a little, maybe try one of the Subway sauces or possibly a little spicy mustard? A wise man once told me, it's good to go outside the norm and try the spicy mustard!