Friday, October 3, 2008

Thoughts on Sonic..."America's Drive-In"


In life it seems like we spend most of our time at work. You know, that four-letter word place where you get a paycheck? Anyway, the way I figure it, the local Sonic Drive-In is a close third to your home.

Yes, Sonic..."America's Drive-In" boasts that they have 168,894 drink combinations. I think my wife has visited Sonic that many times. Maybe she is trying to sample every combination. Just kidding. I have been there as many times as she has I am sure. I have a Route 44 Diet Coke in front of me as I speak.

When looking at the Sonic menu board it looks like people are being creative by what trash they leave behind. I have seen paper from straws, and stickers with receipts attached. I saw something left once that I have never seen before. This person had to be creative. They left a top that was pulled from a Buttermilk Ranch container. I am sure it was stuck to the board by the Ranch dressing residue that was on the underside. Brilliant. I am just reporting what I see...not condoning this in any way.

It seems like I have seen Sonic advertise on their menu boards that if they fail to offer you a combo, larger drink, cheese on your tater tots etc., that you would get a coupon for $2.00 off of your next order. I would probably pay them $2.00 if I knew it would keep them from asking me if I wanted something I did not order in the first place. The other day they failed to offer me anything extra. Dollar signs lit up in my eyes. I thought...should I say something? Then I got thinking would someone lose their job in there for not offering me mozzarella cheese sticks or jalapeno cheddar bites? I bit my tongue and said nothing. Someone kept their job that day. Don't call me mean or vindictive ever again.

The best thing I like about Sonic is going through the Drive-thru with my brother. He changes his voice when ordering. My favorite is his Ted Kennedy voice. It is hilarious. He orders like Ted, but uses his regular or a new voice when he gets to the window to get his order. Have him take you sometime. You will get the laugh of your life.

Oh well, I guess I have talked enough about Sonic. Anyone else got any ideas on what to put on Sonic menu order boards or funny stories at Sonic?

2 comments:

Ashley said...

This is great. I completely agree that I hate when they offer you something you did not order. It is not like their suggestion all of a sudden changes your mind on an extra order chili cheese tots.

Sharon Craig said...

I love me some sonic. I'm up there so much that they come over the speaker and say "Mrs. Craig we'll be right out with your drink". A few years ago when I had surgery I got a huge bouquet of flowers from "The gang from sonic". They're my best friends. Go Sonic!!!