Friday, December 5, 2008

"Dad, what is a Whippersnapper?"


One morning this past week I was driving Morgan to school. We were having our little conversation and sing-a-long time as usual. I started kidding around with her and then I said, "You ole' whippersnapper!" Morgan then asked me, "Dad, what is a whippersnapper?" Now, I have said whippersnapper probably a million times in my life...many of you reading this are whippersnappers and you know who you are...but, I got thinking about it and told Morgan that I would have to research it and get back with her. Why do our kids have to ask us these tough questions?

Well, I have done a little research, looked at a few sources, and found out the following:

Merriam-Webster defines whippersnapper as - a diminutive, insignificant, or presumptuous person.

Then, I used a phrase finder where it stated...Though "whippersnapper" originally referred to a young man with no visible ambition, the term has changed somewhat over the years, and today is more likely to be applied to a youngster with an excess of both ambition and impertinence.

I would like to think that the latter explanation is my answer. That is the one I am going with anyway. I sure did not mean anything derogatory toward my daughter.

FOR YOU DEER HUNTERS OUT THERE...I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH A COUPLE OF GOODIES...

First, I came across a good deer story for you. Click on this DEER.

Also, if you are in the woods...and you are pretty new to deer hunting, and you see something that looks like berries on the ground...they probably aren't berries! Just sayin...

No comments: