Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Doing the right thing...


Throughout our day we are hit with so many choices. Yesterday, I was about two or three car lengths behind a police car, but in another lane. As I followed the police car, we got closer and closer to the stop light of a busy intersection. You guessed it - the light turned yellow. Right then I had a choice...either go through the light and risk a ticket, or stop quick. I chose the latter - to stop quick. You try to do the right thing. You try to do the right thing. Since I stopped quick and sort of at the last minute, my car hung out into the crosswalk a little bit. But, it was not totally blocked. Now, this intersection rarely ever has pedestrians. It's just not an intersection where one would want to cross because it is always so busy. Well, you guessed it...there were people waiting to cross. It looked like two sets of families, and both sets were pushing baby strollers across the intersection. Was God testing me or what? Once they passed in front of me, one of the men that was pushing a stroller looked at me angrily. I could tell he was not happy, muttered something that I could not totally understand. And if I could understand, I probably could not print what he said in this blog. My eyes narrowed, and were beaming in his direction. I was locked in. I gritted my teeth...I wanted to say something! I really did want to say something. But, then I remembered we are in the Christmas Season and some words from the Christmas song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" came to my mind at that moment and hit me like a ton of bricks...

"Peace on Earth, Good will to men."

Do the right thing...

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Good for you. I find it hard not to respond negatively in these situations but you are right. We should all do the right thing.

Mike said...

Sometimes doing the right thing is difficult, good on you for keeping your composure. Sometimes saying nothing is the best idea.

Philip said...

Ashley and Mike...thanks for the comments. You are right it probably was the right thing to do by not saying anything...plus he might have been packing some heat!